I decided that as I have spent so much money on fabric lately, I really ought to prove that sewing saves me money, by recycling some old jeans into a pair of overalls. The plan was going well – take a pair of old jeans, some paisley corduroy I bought for $2 / metre at the end of winter, use an Ottobre pattern that I already have, use old sample swatches for the applique – alas I had forgotten the pull of ‘the perfect button’… I am such a sucker for a beautiful button!! Don’t go near Lincraft anybody, they have the most gorgeous range of new buttons. So all up – overalls, about 50c, buttons $7 *blush*.
And cheap buttons this time – one on top of the other with contrasting thread.
A little voile baby dress made from some fabric I bought at Ferriers a while ago. I was feeling miserly that day and only bought 30cm because it was so expensive, so I almost didn’t have enough – had to fiddle with the layout for ages to fit the pattern pieces, and ended up with less gather than there should have been. I’m very pleased with the seam finishes – all seams enclosed with a french seam or otherwise bound. The ‘knots’ along the front are a strip of lining fabric, roll hemmed on both sides, then knotted and stitched on by hand.