Steampunk pirate


Catching up on posting my steampunk pirate outfit which I sewed for my work Mad Hatters’ Ball last year. I didn’t really take enough photos on the night and had intended to dress up again and take some more, but of course it hasn’t happened so I figured I better get on and blog what I’ve got.

The blouse is a lovely ruffled blouse I picked up at the Salvos. Actually a bit tight but perfect for a busty pirate look under a waistcoat. The earrings, leather belt, and leather pouch are also all thrifted.

I’m thrilled with the waistcoat. I wanted a leather look, but didn’t want to be uncomfortable and to be honest didn’t really want to sew leather. This raw silk was on the sell out table at Spotlight and I got it ridiculously cheap. I’m biased but I think it works beautifully. I hacked a New Look 6839 view B by extending one side of the front into a crossover and fastening it with purchased buckles. Regretfully I don’t have a photo of the back but it’s laced with eyelets and black ribbon.

The hat was bought in Target and is just a plain floppy hat to which I added braid and feathers and turned into a tricorne. I’m also wearing a medallion with a Galifrey design which Milly bought at Comic Con last year, and fingerless mittens which I made from some thick ruched elastic. The boots are my beautiful lace-up Rockport boots which I have owned for about 8 years now, having resoled them a couple of times already. I adore them.

And finally, the skirt is an Ottobre skirt, sewn from a quilting cotton, cut off short so it’s longer at the back, and a couple of ruffles gathered on. I topped it off with a wooden sword belonging to my son and felt very swashbuckling indeed. Our whole team did the pirate thing and had a ball (dad joke!)

Dress-ups for my Bloggerversary


This week was my bloggerversary – my blog is one year old! Which also means I have been in the EB sewing group for a bit over a year!! I looked back through my old blog posts and realised I have made over 60 things, not counting all the nappies and wipes I have also made. I’m quite sure I wouldn’t have made anywhere near that amount of stuff without our little sewing group to encourage me, and I wouldn’t have realised how many I’d made with out my blog as a record of what I’ve made – thanks ladies!!!!!  So, in a very unoriginal fashion, I will send a special surprise hand-sewn gift to someone who leaves a comment on this post …. so comment away, and you could win LOL!!!

These are the costumes I made for Book Week a couple of months ago. We were too rushed on the morning of the parade to get photos, so I have just got around to dressing the kids up again and taking proper photos. Here is Laura as ‘Heather the Violet Fairy’ from the Rainbow Magic series. Dress made by me out of some soft and stretchy purple stuff. I hacked a simple dress pattern for the square neck. Necklace and bracelet made by the fairy herself, and violet socks bought by order of the fairy from Myer LOL!


Liam was very pleased with himself to be going as a Jedi, and I was very pleased to have a relatively easy costume to make. He is wearing white pants which I actually ran up for Laura for summer from some stretch cotton. The brown drill cloak was an end of roll bargain from Spotlight made up to an Ottobre coat pattern. They are Laura’s boots, an op shop belt, and a very easy tunic made from some white cheesecloth that has been sitting around here for ages.

Finally, here is a rare shot of Matilda in the jodhpurs I made her. They are rather less tight fitting than is ‘expected’ but I had to strike a balance between the desired skin tight look, and wanting her not to grow out of them too quickly. It’s hard to see in the pic but they are a proper jodhpurs pattern with no inside leg seam and reinforcing patches over the inner leg. She is happily wearing her “Angels have the Phone Box” shirt from the Dr Who episode Blink. I have a shirt the same (she says with a Cheshire cat grin 😀 )