It’s that time of year again, and here is the pressie my EB Secret Santa sent me. One metre of cute apple fabric, a roll of red and roll of green thread and a gadgety thing that makes bias binding.
A couple of days later and here is it all sewn up into a twirly dress for the self-tattoo artist (don’t you love the self-decoration?!) This was pretty easy to sew and I just added some sparkly green buttons to the front for fun. The pattern is McCalls 5084. It’s even pretty enough and comfy enough to sleep in.
EB Secret Santa Swap
Just answering the Qs for my buddy :)…
Would you like something handmade as a gift? I don’t mind if it’s handmade or bought. I might not have time to handmake anything myself so I perfectly understand if I don’t receive handmade.
Do you have a favourite Christmas Colour? I like blue and silver/ red and snow-white.
Do you decorate the whole house or just a part of it? We tend to be rather minimalist, we really just put up the tree and maybe decorate around it (and of course I have the amazing Christmas bunting that Karen gave me last year!)
Do you have any Christmas traditions? Watching Carols on Christmas eve, 1 present opened before church on Christmas morning and the rest together afterwards, hot Christmas lunch at 2 in the afternoon.
Do you like quick projects or things that take a little longer? Definitely quick projects, although I sometimes have the patience to take on something that needs more stamina.
Is there anything that you like to collect? Unfinshed objects LOL. No really, I adore lovely pure soft yarns in beautiful colours and shell or glass buttons.
Is there anything you don’t like/ don’t need? I hate teal, pale pink, lemon and lavender. I don’t quilt so I have no use for fat quarters.
These are my answers to the Secret Santa Questions for our EB sewing group:
1. What’s your favorite colour? Bright colours, especially emerald green and scarlet.
2. What’s your favorite item to sew? Pretty girls’ clothes.
3. What items other people have made would you have loved to have done yourself? Shirred tops like the green one Sharon made.
4. What takes your fancy in the notions world? Rik Rack? Ribbons? I looooove shell buttons, and glass beads, although I don’t have much use for them because they can’t just get shoved in the wash .
5. What is your fabric weakness? Fine embroidered cotton.
6. What’s one thing you haven’t tried but would like to? I think I’ve tried most things over the years, I’d like to make myself a hat because I went looking for a new one and couldn’t find one I liked.
7. Are there any patterns that you like in particular? Ottobre!!! I’ve made a few of the ladies’ patterns in the older Ottobre mags too and they seem to fit me well.
8. For how long have you been sewing? I did a knitwit sewing class when I was 12, in the early 80’s when knits were all the rage, and have been sewing ever since.
9. What size are your kids? Miss 9yo is tall and lean, girls size 12 in tops and bottoms but with a smaller waist. Miss 7 is about a size 8 all over. Mr 4 is tall and in proportion but still has a toddler belly so about size 5. Miss 16 weeks is a chubby bubby with a big head , only just still fitting in her 00’s.
10. Do you like quick projects or projects that take a little longer to finish? At the moment I like quick things, but I enjoy more complicated things if I have the time, like the fully topstitched denim style jacket I made for me last year.
11. What do you hope to do with your sewing in the future? Selling/Sell more/keep as hobby etc/Design..? Just keep making things for the kids (it’s cheaper and more creative) and me (it’s cheaper and I get things that fit better). I wouldn’t like the pressure of sewing things to sell, nor the tedium of making multiple items the same or similar.
12. What is your favourite time of year? Winter!!!! Love the cuddly fabrics.
13. What is your favorite type of fabric? Has to be natural fibres, don’t like synthetics, I love cotton velour and embroidered cotton.
14. What is you least favourite fabric to sew with? Slinky knit or satin – PITA!
15. Do you have any Christmas traditions? Watching Carols from Kings on Christmas eve before Midnight Mass, but the #@%* ABC didn’t screen it last year
16. What frustrates you about sewing? Unpicking, not being able to get a professional finish on knit fabrics because I don’t have a $3000 overlocker with a cover stitch.
17. What ‘style’ do you dress your children in/ which shop clothes do you try to imitate? My eldest is an Esprit/ preppy type girl but she didn’t get it from me LOL! Miss 7 is a glamour puss and I have to guide her away from the more tarty styles – I can see the arguments when she’s a teenager – ‘you’re not going out the house in that…’ I tend to sew Pumpkin Patch type clothes for her, and she also likes a lot of the Ottobre ones. Mr 4 is in pretty basic styles, although I like to try and find cute, boyish prints. Miss 16 weeks, I just love little floral prints, and hand knit cardies on babies, hence the home-sewing and knitting since you can’t buy them so much in the shops.
Ooooh, I wonder who my secret santa is……??