I’ve had this fabric for yonks, so long I can’t even remember where or when I bought it, but I think it was about 8 years ago. I still really like the colour combinations but somehow it also has a bit of an outdated feel to it. I’m not quite sure if it is outdated enough to be retro-cool or just old, but I’ve decided I don’t care, so there. The patterns are Ottobre yet again. I realised miss 3 has grown so much since last Winter that nothing she owns will fit once the cold weather arrives, so I’m getting an early start on making a few warmer clothes. I also picked up a beautiful velveteen Osh Kosh jacket in the exact same red at an op shop on Friday – bargain!
I would say I am an on a roll, but it’s more like a manic obsession LOL.Here are some capri pants from Ottobre 3/2009 – black stretch denim with aqua top-stitching. I nearly had a conniption trying to do all the top-stitching, the thread was proper top-stitching thread and kept snapping, even though I had a nice thick needle and had loosened off the tension! Liam’s t-shirt was quickly run up while watching Doctor Who. It is Ottobre 1/2006. I think I have finally conquered getting a good finish on binding the neck of knits, this is pretty much perfect especially next to those chubby cheeks – aren’t they adorable!
The twirly skirt is a full circle, cut using the lines on my cardboard cutting board, with elastic threaded through an attached waistband, for which I actually needed to dredge up some maths and work out the length I needed using pi!! The frill is about 3 times the circumference of the hem.
I bought this beautiful stretch velour fabric a year ago to make pants but strangely the child in question grew. I still had just enough, but needed to put a seam through the pants to get the length so I’ve covered up the seam with some lovely tartan ribbon. I gathered the tartan ribbon with gathering threads then sewed it down the middle with zigzag so that the pants would still be able to stretch when needed.The beret is one I knitted last year to match a jumper I also knitted. The model refused all requests to stay still so all the shots are blurry!
Secondly, the alpaca jumper for Milly which I promised myself would be finished a week from when I blogged about it, and sure enough it was finished but took 2 months to be blogged. I bought this alpaca a year ago for my birthday and didn’t intend to knit something this big. I didn’t want to make a trip back to Hahndorf where I bought it so I found a red wool that is almost a perfect colour match, although the alpaca is much lighter in weight – can you see the difference? (Actually you can in this photo but not in daylight).
You are reading a post from 2008. Part of my continuing efforts to transfer all the posts from my old blog into the archives of my new one.
Motivation – it is definitely a strange thing… It has basically been 5 months since I did much sewing, but suddenly I am on a roll again (Yay!)
The Raggedy Ann and Andy pants were a curtain, half of which I think I sent to Kerry in a swap (??). I love this little slouch pant pattern, it’s the same one as the spotty pants in my last post. And lo and behold I actually did have a pair of buttons that matched perfectly for this pair.
Summer pants – for me for a change 🙂 Made from polished cotton. I cut them on the bias and left out the side seam so that they would fall nicely. Also added a self fabric belt and belt keepers to the elastic waist. I think I’ll make another pair, they are so cool and comfy.
And pants for Miss Milly which I ran up last night from an old curtain I bought at the op shop. The fabric is like a cotton sateen and I still have plenty of it left. I dressed little miss in her cardigan that I knitted from Jo Sharp ‘silk georgette’ yarn – it’s a mix of alpaca, wool and silk and was so lovely to knit with. The pattern is from an old knitting book of cardigans and matinee jackets that I also bought in an op shop. Big sister took the photo so I had to choose between the one with milk curds on her face, the one with her head cut off or the one that’s slightly out of focus…